Sign In Forgot Password

Minyan attendance is by pre-registration. To register to join our minyan please go to

Coronavirus Response and Protocols


September 1, 2020

We have now resumed a full schedule of daily minyanim. Please attend if you are able as we still have members who are unable to attend due to health risks. We are encouraging people to sign up in advance by contacting Rabbi Weissman - If you have not signed up in advance you can still attend and will be required to sign up on site. All attendees must comply with safety rules and must wear masks at all times on the Young Israel premises. 

June 19, 2020

YIP is conducting daily minyanim by signup only. All attendees must be in good health and comply with strict guidelines including strict distancing and masks. Space is extremely limited. Members will be given the opportunity to sign up via a form. Non-members may attend (in compliance with our guidelines) if space allows, by contacting Rabbi Weissman. 


Sunday May 24, 2020

Dear Friends,
It is with both excitement and trepidation that we announce that the Young Israel of Plainview will begin its phased reopening process.  Based on the recommendation of the Orthodox Union and the Rabbinical Council of America, Rabbi Weissman and the Board of Directors have concluded  to return to regular services two weeks after the initial announcement by New York State.  This is consistent with the criteria set previously adopted by the board and will be conducted in line with our Covid-19 protocol document
We will therefore begin with Mincha and Maariv on Wednesday, June 3, 2020.  The services will be modified per protocol, and will very gradually return to normal.  Please stay tuned to your email for further instructions on how to sign up and attend minyanim. 

Stay Well,
Elie Weissman, Rabbi
David Gross, President
Young Israel of Plainview Board


Wednesday May 20 2020

Coronavirus Update

Dear Friends, 

Thankfully, we have successfully flattened the curve and are starting to see some early signs of the reopening of our region. We have tremendous thanks to our essential workers; their incredible efforts are deserving of our respect and admiration. 

Determining how to balance our spiritual, communal, and emotional needs to reopen as soon as possible with our desire to keep our risk low, and protect the health of our friends is extremely challenging. In consultation with a medical committee, Ritual Committee, and Board of Directors under the direction of Rabbi Weissman, the Board adopted guidelines  for determining when to start the reopening process. This is subject to change and revision by the Board and is being reviewed every few days. The next review will take place on Sunday.

The metrics, and our detailed protocol for reopening, were adopted by the board on 5/18 and affirmed on 5/20, and can be found here YIP COVID-19 Protocol . 

Today, Governor Cuomo announced that the state is allowing worship services of 10 or less with social distancing restrictions.  Rabbi Weissman has been in touch with halachic leaders in the OU and RCA, as well as other shuls in Nassau County, who continue to be wary of opening at this time. We will continue to stay closed in concert with the comparable institutions in our area based on halachic guidance (one of our 3 metrics). 

We are committed to reopening as soon as we meet the criteria set by the Board and will be reconvening on Sunday to evaluate any updates to our situation. 
The situation is fluid and the Board will continue to meet frequently and will communicate any changes. 

In the meantime, we are asking for communal patience and cooperation. Please continue to daven on your own and refrain from all large gatherings. 

Thank you for your patience, 
Stay Safe, 
Rabbi Elie Weissman
David Gross
YIP Board



May 20, 2020

כ״ו אייר תש״פ


Update on Shuls and Communities

We are certainly encouraged that downward trends in disease have moved many states towards reopening. Nevertheless, we reiterate that based on our Halachic value of the concern for life (Pikuach Nefesh), a government’s allowance of Minyanim – for which we are grateful - does not mean that such Minyanim should occur.

Before resuming communal Davening, the OU/RCA guidance required both a clear flattening of the curve and a verified safe period of 14 days following communal reopening to assess whether there will be a significant surge of new cases as other parts of society are released from mitigation.

This guidance remains in place. We continue to advise delaying 14 days prior to the opening of any Minyanim.

Our Poskim and our medical advisors imposed this guideline because a downward trajectory of illness during the lock down period itself does not reflect what may occur upon reopening. Reopening a community is an experiment to determine whether the downward trajectory will continue even after people begin to circulate significantly. The opinion of our Poskim is that Pikuach Nefesh concerns dictate that the return to communal Davening wait until after the experiment of reopening has been conducted successfully for two weeks, without a rise in disease.

This caution should of course be exercised not only regarding Minyanim, but for other new government allowances as well. All activities must be approached with appropriate caution.

We restate that due to the variety of experience and data between communities, there can be no “one size fits all” national schedule for reopening. The rabbinic and medical leadership of shuls and communities should determine local policy in consultation and coordination with local public health officials, meeting and exceeding their standards.

This statement was written with the guidance of our Poskim, Harav Hershel Schachter שליט"א and Harav Mordechai Willig שליט"א. It has been reviewed and supported by Harav Dovid Cohen שליט"א and Harav Asher Weiss שליט"א.

The situation continues to evolve and thus these recommendations and guidelines are based solely on currently available information and advice.

We share our community’s deep desire to return to communal Davening and to shul life. It is our sincere hope and prayer that our decisions maximize both communal safety and our service of Hashem, יהי רצון שתשרה שכינה במעשה ידינו ויהי נועם ד' אלקינו עלינו. 



Wednesday March 18

Coronavirus Closure Update

Dear friends, 
Unfortunately, the current pandemic is continuing to intensify. After considerations by Rabbi Weissman and the Board, and in consultation with medical officials, YIP will continue to remain closed. Services for this Shabbat and through next week will be suspended. The board will continue to meet each Wednesday night to evaluate the situation in the hopes that we can resume some services as soon as possible. 
However, we are cognizent that this may take some time and we want to continue to be able to support each other as a community leading up to Pesach and beyond.

Our clear message is to STAY HOME AND SAVE LIVES, Please heed the government and halachic directives and help to Flatten the Curve. If you are healthy, please consider joining the Half Day Fast Thursday morning declared by OU and RCA (see message below). 

If you have any questions or need any help please reach out to Rabbi Weissman, Yoetzet Avital Weissman, Sarah, or me. We will also be sending additional information in the coming days about volunteering oppotunities to expand our Chessed in the community. 

The shul will also be sending additional opportunities for learning, take out delivery, online shiurim and youth activities. If you have ideas please let me know. 

I hope everyone will join us for a special communal get together Thrusday at 9PMFarbrengen,Shiurim, and Inspiration for YIP and MJC with Rabbi Weissman, Rabbi Rank and Rabbi Levenson.
Join by following this link

While we can't be together in person we can certainly still do our part to daven for those impacted. Please see this critical message from OU and RCA regarding our role in stopping the pandemic with our actions and our prayers. 

Thank you, 

David Gross


The Young Israel of Plainview will continue to be closed through Friday morning Shacharit March 20. We will be re-evaluating the situation every few days to determine when we will be able to re-open. G-d willing soon. If you are not a member and attend our minyanim and would like updates regarding our status please send your name, phone number, and email address to 

Dear Friends,

With COVID-19 still spreading and many still in grave danger, the board and I have chosen to keep the synagogue closed through Friday at which point we will re-evaluate the situation. Our decision does not come lightly. We certainly understand the valuable role minyan plays in people's lives and how painful its loss is.

But realize, we close and cancel to protect others, in particular the weakest among us. It is a Mitzvah to protect not only our own lives but the lives of others as well. By distancing, we help curb the spread of this dangerous disease and save lives. We implore our members not to form private minyanim as this will undermine our communal effort to stop the spread of the virus.

We encourage all of our members to follow the CDC guidelines in all areas, as we play our part.

Over the week, we will create as many learning opportunities as possible through social media and online shiurim.

Wishing you all only health and happiness,
Rabbi Elie Weissman


Additional Information


I want to thank the members of our board who have given significant amount of additional time, to work together, to discuss our current situation, and help us make decisions for the community. We have been aided by many of our members in the medical community and rabbinical authorities that have had to make several very difficult decisions.

Members of our board will be reaching out to all our members in the coming days to ensure that everyone has a contact who they can go to in case they need help.
Please note the board member that contacts you and use them as your primary contact. If you can't get to that person or need any additional help please contact me or Rabbi Weissman by phone, text or email.

It is very important that we have the best contact information for all our members. We will also be introducing text messages (in addition to our chain call), to help increase communication with the membership, if we don't have your email, or mobile phone number on your account please contact Stacy Grady to ensure we can share our most up to date information as quickly as possible.

During trying times is when we need each other the most, and while we may not have our physical kehila, we are still the wonderful community that we all appreciate.
We will be holding a community meeting via teleconference on Thursday night for questions (more information to follow).

Thank you,
David Gross


Rabbi Weissman and I have made the decision to follow the recommendation of the RCA, OU and halachic authorities and follow suit with other shuls in our area and CLOSE YIP this Shabbat. We will have no minyanim through this Sunday. We will communicate further Sunday afternoon.

Dear Friends,

It is with a heavy heart that I announce that we will NOT be holding minyanim or gathering in shul this Shabbos. After discussion with Rav Herschel Schachter, Rav Mordechai Willig, the Orthodox Union and the Rabbinical Council of America have concluded that any area where schools are closed should also close its shuls. Their feeling was that even with precautions, Halacha demands an exceptional standard when it comes to risk of life.

It's unfortunate that some will have to miss kaddish for yahrzeits and aveilut, but please realize that we are doing this for the sake of our friends and neighbors. In this case, one may learn Mishnayot in lieu of kaddish and count that your commitment will do benefit the neshamot of those who have passed.

It is my hope that we can continue to find spiritual opportunities this Shabbat without shul. Please daven at the proper time, read the parsha, share Torah, sing zemirot, and bond with your families.

Apologies for the late notice, but the situation is unfortunately fluid. Please refrain from all large gatherings as well.

With blessing for a healthy and meaningful Shabbos,
Rabbi Elie Weissman




Presidents Message:

This is a decision we did not take lightly and we do not currently have any confirmed cases in YIP. It is the first time I am aware of that YIP has ever been closed.

In a time of adversity is when a community shows its true colors. We care for each other and support each other. We are only at the very begining of a trying time for us individually, and as a community, and I am already so proud of the caring and response I've seen. As the pandemic evolves we will need to continue adjust and find ways to support one another.

We will be sending a follow up email shortly with a video message from Rabbi Weissman to put us in the proper mindframe for shabbat.

Apologies again for the short notice. Wishing you all a good shabbos and health,
David Gross


Sat, August 13 2022 16 Av 5782